Thursday, December 19, 2013

Countdown

There are less than 24 hours left until Christmas vacation!

Well...technically my vacation doesn't start until December 29, as I'm on home call for the first half of the holidays, but compared to Christmas on the internal medicine wards it will feel like vacation.  There will be no clinics and no mandatory rounding and no patients for whom I am directly responsible.  Just a pager that is more likely to be quiet than not.  Pure bliss.

In my head, I've composed a list of totally mundane things that I am irrationally excited to get to do while I'm not working or studying for the Exam That Shall Not Be Named.  Here it is in blog form:

  •  And this one:

  • Lounge in bed with the cats.
  • Get a massage from my favourite massage therapist.
  • Do a puzzle.  While drinking egg nog.
  • Sort through my pile of unsorted photos.  From the past year and a half.  Sigh.
  • Try my hand at making gnocchi.
  • Have my friends over for a lazy day of cheese fondue and board games.  Possibly more than once.
  • Usher in the New Year somewhere other than on a medicine ward. 

And on and on and on.  It's amazing how much medicine (and all of the time and energy it demands from a person) has made me appreciate the ridiculously simple things in life.  Here's to a delightfully simple Christmas.

And hopefully a very silent pager.

3 comments:

Sharron said...

The Jeanette Winterson book is a brilliant read. I hope your pager stays silent and you get to do all of your simple yet lovely holiday plans.

All the best for 2014

McPolish said...

Putting the WInterson book on my list.

Also, did you make the gnocchi? If so, how did they turn out? I've always wanted to try it....

Solitary Diner said...

Sharron - Thanks!

McPolish - The Winterson book was an amazing read. It took me a few chapters to get into it, but once I got used to the style and absorbed into the story I couldn't put it down. I did make the gnocchi, and they were pretty good. Time-consuming and a little denser than I would've liked, but certainly reasonable for a first attempt.