Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Oops - Medical Monday

Oh look...it was Medical Monday...two days ago.  My only excuse is medicine.  I'm back at work after a lovely week-long break, and not only are my days filled to overflowing with hepatology work, my evenings are now being spent cramming every little piece of general internal medicine information into my brain that I possibly can.  The "home stretch" (i.e. final five months) of preparation for my licensing exams has started, and studying has now taken priority over pretty much everything else in my life.  It's awesome.

For anyone who is drawn to a career in medicine because of its glamorous side, remember that it requires a mountain of hard work that outsiders don't often see.  It doesn't end when you finish medical school or when you finish residency or when you finish fellowship and achieve the ultimate goal of being a bona fide doctor.  It's lifelong.  Which is both horrible and wonderful, all at the same time.

Happy Medical MonWednesday

6 comments:

Your Doctor's Wife said...

Ha! Seeing the title of this post made me laugh!! Good reminder! I feel sorry for those who turn to medicine for a "lifestyle". There are quicker less intensive ways to make a buck! Happy 2014 to you!

Katie said...

You made me sad when you referred to the home stretch as a five month period. Try to stay sane studying!

From A Doctors Wife said...

Thanks for linking up with MM and being a constant is our line up. I am glad you made it ever if you were a day or so late... so am I:-)

Lisa Kothari said...

Stopping by via MM Blog Hop!

Happy 2014! Keep going!

Ray Doc Wife

Eniola Prentice said...

good luck on your boards! it particularly annoyed me when one of the justifications for obamacare was doctors make too much money, no one talks about the sacrifices we make.

Kellys Reality said...

Amen! I just had a post on my blog about the realities of being a physician and i totally agree with the non-glamourous side that people never see. Thanks for linking up with medical Mondays!