Tuesday, November 7, 2017

How To Not Let Twitter Take Over Your Life

This is going to be a short post, because I stayed late to finish all of my work tasks from the day, and all I want at this moment is to eat a bowl of peanut butter chocolate ice cream and read "Health at Every Size".

(Ironic combination?  Maybe, maybe not.)

I joined Twitter less than a month ago, and at the time I was completely oblivious to its addictive potential.  I assumed it was going to be roughly equivalent to Facebook in terms of being a time sink, but hahahahahahaha.

(That is the sound of the laughter of any regular Twitter user.)

Twitter is literally an infinite time sink.  Unlike with Facebook, where you're somewhat limited by your number of friends and how often they post, there is no end to the rabbit hole of Twitter.  Finished reading all of the tweets from the people you follow?  Click on their lists of followers and find more people to follow!  And then their lists!  And their lists!  I actually forgot to go to work on Monday because I was so caught up in reading just one more thing...

I.  Forgot.  To.  Go.  To.  Work.

(Thankfully I came out of my haze only about 15 minutes after I was supposed to have left, but OMG.)

As I am typing this, I can see a (1) displayed next to the word Twitter on my Firefox tab, and my hands are itching with the desire (neeeeed) to see who has tweeted.

(Didn't resist.  It was Canadian musician Veda Hille posting a picture of a dinner party.  Sure am glad I didn't miss that.)

So, want to know how I don't let Twitter take over my life?

I have no idea.

Help.

8 comments:

  1. I better heed the warning and just stay away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Internet addiction prone am I. Twitter seems like one I should avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the novelty of twitter will wear off after a while. and then it'll be exciting for catching up on big events. i've been on since 2008, and i find that my use of it comes and goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got hooked on Twitter again during the lead up to the US election and often find myself spending WAAAAAY more time on there than I should. But I follow enough angry people that I inevitably reach my righteous fury quotient before I've lost a whole day. But it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the angry people. And the righteous fury. There's been a lot of that in my Twitterverse today. Possibly enough that I should just stop reading.

      Just stop.

      Delete