Wednesday, January 1, 2020

2020 - Progress, Not Perfection

It has been a few years since I made a New Year's resolution.  In 2017, I resolved to say no to more things, which obviously wasn't enough given the burnout I hit in 2019.  In 2018, I seem to have been in a bit of a dark place in which I thought resolving to do anything was futile, because I wouldn't be able to stick to it anyway.

The past two years have shown me that, under the right circumstances, I can actually make pretty big changes in my life.  In that time, I've greatly expanded and strengthened my social circle, to the point where I couldn't see everyone I wanted to during my two weeks of holidays.  I've started a (somewhat) daily meditation practice and gone to a meditation retreat.  I've been really consistent with yoga, going to 45 classes in the first half of the year and 83 in the second half*.  I've adopted an intuitive eating practice, which has led me to a much healthier relationship with food (and overall healthier eating habits) than I've had in my life.  And I've cut back on my work responsibilities to the point where I am only slightly dreading returning to it tomorrow.

When I look back at the changes I've made, the keys for me have been twofold:  motivation and gradual progress.  I haven't made changes out of a sense that it's what I should do, but rather because I can see how the changes will make me happier and otherwise enhance my life.  The goals I set for myself are personal and are aligned with my values, not things that other people think are important.  I've also started slowly with things (It took me over a decade to develop a regular yoga practice!) and allowed myself to learn from the process of change, rather than thinking that I'll be perfect at a new thing the moment I start it.  As Done By 40 said in a comment on my last post, "Progress, not perfection".

Looking ahead to 2020, my hope is to have a relatively uneventful year.  2019 was a year of tremendous growth and change, but it was also a hard one.  I kind of want to catch my breath**.  I want to continue with my mindfulness practice, and I'm aiming for a regular practice of four yoga classes per week and meditating every day.  I want to keep building on the friendships I have.  My financial situation is really good (No debt!  Lots of investments!), and I mostly just want to keep working and hoarding money for the future.  Overall, I don't anticipate any radical changes in 2020***.

But....in 2020, I would like to work on keeping up with everything.  I feel like I'm perpetually behind - on housework, on work work - and I find it draining.  I hate having clutter in my home and 100 dictations to sign off on in my inbox.  I hate feeling like I'm perpetually catching up, only to have new work pile on top of me the moment I finally get through the old work.  And it's not like I'm saving time by procrastinating on things - I have the same amount of work to do, regardless of whether I do it right away or put it off for weeks.

Which...is really everyone's problem, right?  While the specific tasks may differ, I think we all have an endless to-do list that is never done to our satisfaction.  So, while I'm setting this as a goal, I am also trying to be realistic.  And to extend a lot of grace and compassion to myself.  Because no matter how hard I work, I am never going to get to the bottom of the list.  And I need to make peace with that.

As far as how to do this...I'm going to experiment.  Try something for a while, see how it goes, then keep it or reject it.  I'm not expecting that I will get to the end of the list by midnight tonight and then always keep up with it, forever and ever.  I know it will be a process, and so I'm trying to give myself the time and space (and lots of grace!) to work with the process.  For the moment, I am going to try three things that I think may help:

1)  Going to later yoga classes:  Some of my favourite yoga classes are at 5:30 PM, which unfortunately means leaving work at 4:30 and therefore losing out on a lot of potential work time.  I'm going to try sticking to a regular weekly schedule, with a 7 PM class as my earliest, so that I get an extra hour or so at work at the end of many days.

2)  Coming to work earlier:  My work days start between 8 and 9:30 am (sometimes 10 if I really let myself sleep in) depending on whether or not I have a morning clinic.  I'm going to try to get to work for 8 am consistently so that I'm getting some extra work time first thing in the morning.  As an added bonus, I'm hopeful that the more regular wake up/go to work schedule will be good for my insomnia.

I recognize that I'm proposing to both start later and finish later, which has the potential to simply be too much work.  But I'm hoping that this will allow me to get most, if not all, of my work done during the week, thus giving me weekends completely off to recharge.  I'll see how it goes...

3)  Just doing the shit now:  I'm human.  I procrastinate.  Sometimes epically.  Yesterday I logged onto a conference website, thinking it was the last day for early bird registration, and when I discovered that I still had two weeks, I logged off.  I did very quickly log back on and register for the conference (also booked my Airbnb like a superstar), but my initial impulse was to procrastinate for another two weeks.  I've already started trying to break myself of this habit, as I know it is a huge contributor to the piles of things to do that build up.  So I'm trying to just respond to the email, just put my dishes in the dishwasher, just put away the laundry that I've already folded (instead of it sitting on my dresser until the basket is empty), and just add the item to my grocery list (instead of cursing myself when I get home from the store without it).  Just.  Do.  The.  Shit.

Who knows if this will work.  I like some of the 5:30 yoga classes, so I might cave and go to them.  My bed is very comfortable, so I may sleep in.  Doing the shit gets tedious.  But I'm going to give it a try and see where it takes me.

Any suggestions as I try to get more on top of things in my life?

*At least.  I only track yoga classes for my main studio; I think I did another 10 or so at other studios over the year.

**I feel like I'm tempting the universe by typing this.

***Seriously, I feel like I'm baiting the universe with this post.

11 comments:

  1. I think the biggest achievement so far is in the area of procrastination. I am still very good at it! It is tough to maintain at this level, you know, so I consider that as an achievement. Seriously, though, you are making progress as am I and I hope many of us are. The self care and self love has been the most difficult for me, as well as forgiving myself for not being good enough. I am good enough, dammit!
    Happy new year, and yes, progress is always good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Congratulations on achieving top-level procrastination.

      Self care/love is definitely a challenge, and I think it's a lifelong journey. I learned a "loving kindness" meditation this year, and sometimes when I'm being particularly hard on myself I will do the meditation directed at myself. It does seem to help!

      Delete
  2. I’m going to try and work on (not) procrastinating also. One thing that has saved immense time & sanity is having a weekly cleaner come in. I find we tidy weekly before she arrives, so that also keeps us on top of keeping the house straight.

    It’s an extra expense, but so so worth it for my sanity and my marriage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All hail the weekly cleaner! I have had one since residency (maybe even med school?), and it is one of the last expenses I'd cut from my budget if I needed to.

      Delete
  3. I have a cleaner who comes in biweekly. I LOVE it. It's a gift of time to myself (and my family). I prefer to spend my non-work hours doing something I love or with those who I love.
    -gem

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it is incredible to see the changes that you've made! Especially that they're actually improving your life, not just things you feel like you should do!

    I had to laugh at the conference registration example, because that is 100% something I would do!
    I by no means have it figured out, but one year my goal was "just do it now" which I would seriously just repeat to myself throughout the day for both big and small things (writing the scary work email, putting away that pile of laundry etc) and honestly, it kind of worked!
    Another time I got so fed up with the endless work/clinical inbox and feeling like I had everything half done, that my mantra was "just do it once." So, like if I open and look at a lab result: actually review it, and do whatever the follow up needs to be. Not open and skim it 3 times, forget the details each time or plan to check something "later: and still not have it done. This was also helpful for the conference type example: like, I would say to myself "do not look at flights 4 different times, have to look up the conference location and nearby accommodation every time, miss your chance to book the AirBnB, and what date was that again??" Just wait until have I have time to do it once: book the flight, register, find accommodation - once.
    ~ writing these out is a great reminder for me actually, maybe I should try these again!

    Anyways, best of luck!! Progress, not perfection seems like a great approach to the year/life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just doing it once is so helpful but also so hard. I struggle with it when I'm tired and can't seem to focus my attention on tasks. Also when things are really busy and I don't have the time to get all the way to the bottom of the to-do list, so I skip through the lower priority items and do the most urgent. I'm hoping that devoting a little more time to work in the new year will let me stay more caught up....

      Delete
  5. I actually find the less time I have, the less I CAN procrastinate and the more I can get done. I do much better to go all out for a time and then take the foot off the gas, rather than trying to kinda keep up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true! I'm trying to artificially create this for myself by giving myself less time at work when things are slow, but it's hard to fake stress/deadlines.

      Delete
  6. Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guaranteed to cure Herpes Virus, The  main reason why most people are finding it difficult to get cured from HSV 1& 2  is because they believe on medical treatment, i want you to know that drugs and medical treatments is not helpful to cure HSV permanently but it can only help you control it but the truth is in life time it will still be inside your nervous system, But Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever. I never believed it until I was helped and cured of my 2 months genital herpes with natural herbal medicines from Dr. OKITI . Where other medical prescribed drugs and treatments failed, Dr. OKITI herbal medication helped me and cured me from herpes virus permanently and I’m so grateful for this. You can also get help from this great and powerful African Herbalist called Dr. OKITI by reaching him via email: Drokitiherbalhome100@gmail.com or call/whatsapp him at +234 705 067 0365. Thank you so much Dr. OKITI.

    ReplyDelete